Gimme Your Answers: An Interview w/ Shiny Toy Guns

STGI remember the first time I heard Shiny Toy Guns, I listened to their song You Are The One and could not get over how damn catchy it is. And now looking at it all, they’re onto their third album which is crazy! They always deliver such a unique sound and are continuously rockin’ synthpop music. We spoke to Jeremy Dawson from the band to see what they’re up to now!

AMBY: You have recently released your latest album III. How has your sound evolved since the last record?

JD: It’s sort of come full circle.  We really pushed ourselves this time to bring out every emotion we had; and at the same time produce the best record we could possibly make.

AMBY: Which three songs are the quintessential Shiny Toy Guns?

JD: Ahh… that is something a lot of people would have a different answer too. I would say Le Disko, You Are The One, Major Tom? Not my choices I’m literally reading this somewhere haha.

AMBY: Who are your biggest musical influences?

JD: Right now I really only listen to awesome stuff that’s kind of new. Grimes.  Daughter.  Kitten.  Tycho.  Woodkid.  The National.  Lana Del Rey.  I would say deep deep influences would be Pink Floyd, Peter
Gabriel, Jesus Jones, The Prodigy (experience days) and whatnot.

AMBY: The new single Fading Listening is a wonderful track. What is the story behind the song?

JD: Fading was a bit of an anomaly. The song was the very very last thing we worked on, I remember we were finishing up the mixing of the record and Chad called in to the studio and said to leave him alone
for 3 days. Fusing together pieces of an acappella that Carah had laying around with the song he was working on called “steaks”, fading listening was born:)

AMBY: What song could you live without ever hearing again?

JD: I can’t do that … no fair I don’t want to poo on someone else’s art. But you have no idea how many of those songs I want to tell you . ….. .

AMBY: What is the most memorable moment you have had while touring?

JD: Driving through Category 3 Hurricane Rita in 2005. On purpose.

AMBY: What can people expect at your live shows?

JD: We make shows you can see. Obvi as well as hear.  So come prepared to watch a music film without acting or CGI.

AMBY: If you could invite three people to dinner who would you choose?

JD: Christ.  Buddha.  And God.  And if only Christ shows up and demands he is sitting in both his fathers chair and his own, and Buddha doesn’t show, then it’s done and everyone can shut the eff up I just
went to dinner with the Father and the Son I took pics.

AMBY: Who would you like to be most and least stuck with in an elevator?

JD: I would love to be stuck with my band.  Terrible things would happen in there that would be hilarious. Least? A dead guy.  Like a dead guy who had been dead for over 3 months.

AMBY: How important has social media been to your success?

JD: Really?  No offense but if you don’t attribute social media to your success and you are an artist you are writing checks, checking your pager, and you live in Cuba driving a 1958 Chevy.

AMBY: What is the best song of 2012 so far?

JD: Grimes : Genesis

AMBY: And lastly, what’s something about Shiny Toy Guns that nobody knows yet?

JD: Carah is hopelessly addicted to a ukulele named Lucia.  She carries it around and talks to it.  And she is getting pretty good at rocking it too.

***

You can buy Shiny Toy Guns’ fabulous latest album III here on iTunes, and have a listen to their track Somewhere To Hide below! And thank you very much Jeremy, for giving us your answers!

Alicia & Yaz Atout

15 Comments

1. Tommy d

December 18, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Gotta love how these interviews have questions that are answered in the most obscure ways hahaha. Good questions though. It’s always cool to learn things about the making of a band (Carah’s ukulele) or the history behind a song (Fading Listening), not to mention get a good laugh

2. Humberto

December 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm

LOVE Jeremy’s taste in music. Grimes is definitely one of the best artists of 2012. And obvi listing Lana Del Rey as an influence makes my gay heart shoot rainbows.

3. Alexia A.J.

December 19, 2012 at 6:20 am

I don’t know how to react on Carah’s obsession with her Ukulele… Well, everyone does weird things ! And pretty much happy about reading Lana Del Rey’s music as a kind of inspiration ! And well… A song once called Steaks can’t be anything but perfect.

4. Edmund Poliks

December 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I can definitely see Le Disko and Major Tom being quintessential to the band, though I really REALLY dig the new album’s “Wait for Me” atmospherically. Also, Lucia sounds awesome.

5. Chelsae

December 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm

YES! I love that Carah has a ukulele that she named! I bought a ukulele in september and named it Ellen Egbert! And when she posted a picture of Lucia on Instagram, I thought it was a guitar. YES. DAY MADE.

6. Lauren

December 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm

It’s always interesting to know what Jeremy is listening to. Interesting he named Major Tom a quintessential STG song as it’s a cover. I wish he named a song off of III.

7. MrTogoHamspring

December 20, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I agree that dead people make terrible elevator companions.

• Chelsae

December 23, 2012 at 12:41 am

HA HA HA.

8. Christopher

December 22, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I can definitely understand the love for Grimes, but I have to admit I’m surprised at the Lana del Rey nod.

9. Derek

December 24, 2012 at 12:57 am

Haha the Ukelele part is hilarious. Love the new album, its amazing. Favourite tracks on it are Somewhere To Hide, as well as Wait For Me. You guys are awesome!

10. geoffrey stafford

January 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm

i loved reading this

11. Alec Lawrenz

January 7, 2013 at 11:47 pm

haha I too have a ukulele that I’m quite obsessed with…

12. Tommy d

January 11, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Ok it’s settled. We all need to get ukuleles

13. Jeanine

January 14, 2013 at 10:02 am

Reading and learning about the Shiny Toy Guns is always a great time!

14. Devin Parker

January 16, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I would say that going to a shiny toy guns show is the best! Even though I want STG to do well and have everyone love there music like I do… I love what the small venues offers! I love being able to stand 15feet away and see the sweat hit the floor!!!