Gimme Your Answers: An Interview w/ The Little Stevies

SHARE:Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on TumblrShare on Google+Print this pageEmail this to someone

The Little Stevies

Siblings Bethany and Sibylla Stephen of Melbourne pop duo The Little Stevies recently released their new album Diamonds for Your Tea. Bethany took the time to speak with A Music Blog, Yea? about the dynamic of being sisters in a band, Melbourne artists, and the album’s reaction. Check out her great answers:

AMBY: Hello The Little Stevies, how are you and what’s the band been up  to lately?

The Little Stevies: Last month we released our third studio album called ‘Diamonds For Your Tea’, and are now nearing the end of our launch tour around oz in celebration of it, with our new five-piece line up.

AMBY: How would you describe each other in one word?

The Little Stevies: Beth on Byll – “Funny”. Byll on Beth – “Serious”.

AMBY: Which three songs are the quintessential The Little Stevies?

The Little Stevies: Sunshower (Love Your Band) and Dink You (Love Your Band) are Little Stevies classics. Canadia (Take Me) from the new album is probably travelling close behind those two in terms of crowd favourites.

AMBY: Your new album Diamonds for Your Tea came out on October 3rd. What’s the reaction to the record been like so far?

The Little Stevies: It’s been really great; very humbling. We’ve had some great reviews from some big national Australian newspapers and music press, giving it 4 stars, and a really supportive and positive response from long time Stevie followers. Its been great to have been able to change the direction of our sound whilst also retaining the essence of what people love about us. Its given us great confirmation for future projects.

AMBY: What is the significance behind the title Diamonds for Your Tea?

The Little Stevies: Diamonds For Your Tea is the title track off the album. The song itself is about new life. One of the big changes that has occurred for Byll over the past year and a half has been giving birth to her first child and becoming a mum.

AMBY: What’s the dynamic like of being sisters? Does it make working together easier or more difficult?

The Little Stevies: I think there are two types of siblings; those who can’t stand each other and don’t know how they were born to the same parents, and those who are naturally very close and end up being friends as well as siblings in the long term.

Byll and I certainly fit into the latter, and the fact that we discovered early on that we had such a huge shared love for music and  could make it together really easily, means that 95% of the time working together is great success. When its good, its really good. But on the contrary when its bad, its really bad. A sibling relationship is always based around extreme emotions, I believe. There’s always going to be the other 5% of the time where shit seriously hits the fan and it feels like your world’s are about to end. But as a rule, its pretty damn awesome.

AMBY: Which other artists from Melbourne should we keep our eyes on?

The Little Stevies: Isaac de Heer, TinPan Orange, Tim Guy, Davidson Brothers, Sal Kimber, Tom Kline, Oh Pep, The Mae Trio, Courtney Barnett,  (just to name a
few).

AMBY: Who would be in your ultimate concert line-up?

The Little Stevies: Queen, fronted by Freddie Mercury, would be the headliner. And then the two openers would be John Farnham and Tiddas.

AMBY: What would the fortune teller predict about The Little Stevies down the road?

The Little Stevies: In 30 years time, The Little Stevies will be old folkies, touring their “best of” album around Australia and abroad, with a hot new band made up of their kids.

AMBY: What’s the best release of the year?

The Little Stevies: I really like Mustered Courages’ album ‘Powerlines’, which was produced by Jimi Maroudas, who also produced our first album ‘Love Your Band’.

AMBY: And lastly, what’s something about The Little Stevies that nobody knows yet?

The Little Stevies: Beth is a qualified teacher, she was an excellent student, and was the music captain of her high school. She can’t stand ants, she likes to read trashy woman’s magazines, and order food on planes. She’s also a terrible cook. Byll freezes in fear at the sight of a spider, and also experiences hard core social anxiety. She’s an excellent cook, and thinks she’s pretty funny. She didn’t excel at high school, but really found her feet at TAFE, and she has a university degree in Music Business.

***

Thank you The Little Stevies, for giving us your answers!

Facebook // Twitter // Website //

Alicia Atout | @AliciaAtout

Leave a Reply

34 − 29 =

Top