Gimme Your Answers: An Interview w/ BROODS

New Zealand brother-sister duo Georgia and Caleb Nott are BROODS. Tonight the band are bringing their electronic-pop to Toronto’s The Drake Underground with Meg Myers and Con Vos! Ahead of their performance, we had the opportunity to speak with BROODS to discuss creating electronic music, an upcoming full-length, going to the 70’s, and being siblings. Here’s what they had to say:

AMBY: Hello BROODS, welcome to AMBY. Please introduce yourselves to our readers.

BROODS: Well, we are Broods. Caleb and Georgia are our names.

AMBY: How would you describe each other in one word?

BROODS: I (Georgia) would describe Caleb as forgetful (he loses everything from his phone to important documents). I (Caleb) would describe Georgia as absent (she lives in her own mind 80% of the time and the other 20% of the time is when you find out what she was thinking about instead of listening to you).

AMBY: Do you find the dynamics of being siblings makes working together easier, or do you butt heads more often because of it?

BROODS: It’s definitely easier. We know one another better than anybody and we’ve grown up as best friends so its kinda comforting knowing the person you work with genuinely has your best interest at heart.

AMBY: Your latest release, the Broods EP, was released as your “debut album” earlier this year. Where did you draw inspiration from when it comes to the electronic elements on the EP?

BROODS: We’re relatively new to creating electronic music. We’ve grown up playing acoustic stuff so we naturally drew upon those kinda vibes and made these emotional electronic ballads. At first it was unintentional but then we realised that it worked for us quite well.

AMBY: What’s next as far as recordings or releases go?

BROODS: We’re currently working on a full length album to release in late august/early September. But hopefully another new single before then.

AMBY: Which other artists from New Zealand should we keep our eyes on?

BROODS: There’s so many young, up and coming artist floating around at the moment to be honest. People like Thompson that just got picked up by Lorde’s manager. Also some really talented producers and rappers that are starting to make their mark like Young Tapz.

AMBY: Where would you go in a time machine?

BROODS: I personally (Georgia) would like to go back in time to the 70’s because it was way easier to get a drivers license in New Zealand back then.

AMBY: What do you look forward to most regarding the rest of 2014?

BROODS: Definitely releasing the full length album and just playing more shows. We can’t really know where we’ll be at the end of the year but that’s the magic of it I guess.

AMBY: Lastly, what’s something about BROODS that nobody knows yet?

BROODS: We’re half Dutch. And in Dutch brood means bread.


Thank you BROODS, for giving us your answers!

Facebook // Twitter // SoundCloud //

[soundcloud url=”″ params=”color=00aabb&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_artwork=true” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

Alicia Atout | @AliciaAtout

Leave a Reply

+ 18 = 22