When it gets bitterly cold outside, I can’t help but thinking of other places that are warm and beautiful and places I rather be. But I guess listening to songs that make me think of far-off places will have to do for now until summer. I hope you all like this playlist of songs, and don’t worry, spring is only a month or so away!
1. London Calling by The Clash – This absolutely iconic song has a very special place in my heart. You know the opening beat automatically, which is usually followed by a resounding “Great song!” by everyone you’re with. Although older, yes, it is also a classic, which I love! I always like to think of driving through London’s streets when I listen to this song, and I hope I have the opportunity to do one day!
2. Paris Oh La La by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals – This song has such a cool rock sound, mixed with something else I can’t quite put my finger on, but I think that’s why I love this song so much! Grace Potter’s vocals are so powerful that now I want really high black heels and a leather jacket because I want to be as powerful as this song makes me feel. A definite must-hear, and if you like this, I highly suggest their song “Stars”. Again, very powerful, but more broken down and vulnerable.
3. Leaving California by Maroon 5 – I found this song by random, actually, very recently and have been in love with it ever since! Dare I say this might be my favorite Maroon 5 album, in part due to this song! I don’t know, I just feel like they really hit it this time. All of the other albums had one or two songs that were really really good, don’t get me wrong, but I didn’t really care about the rest of the album after that. But with V, the first 2 singles were good, but then I looked into the rest of the album and found amazing songs like this one! Maybe this will inspire me to go back and relook at the old albums.
4. Vegas Lights by Panic! At The Disco – Okay, so the intro to this one is a little weird, but I promise if you can get past that, a really great song lies within! There’s something about this song that perfectly conjures up images of a crowded, lit up Vegas Strip and I love songs that immediately brings vivid images to my head. This song is a little hectic and chaotic, but this is Vegas we’re talking about. I think this is very P!ATD-esque and does a great job at showcasing Brendon Urie’s vocals. No matter where you are, you know this is a Panic! song. Not my favorite off this album, but wonderful and brilliant nonetheless!!
5. Westfjords by Stargroves and Abigail Breslin – I would love to see this song get more attention than it is right now! Lead singer, Teddy Watson and actress/singer Abigail Breslin pair up to deliver this vocally beautiful song named after Westfjords in Iceland. Seriously, just listen to it! When I hear it, it just leaves me with a feeling that I can’t describe to you other than it makes me want a flower crown. It’s so mystical and calming, but yet soft and sweet and I just want this song to be playing as I take a nice stroll through the forest in springtime with my flower crown. Which has nothing to do with Iceland. Yeah, I don’t really understand the song title either, but I still love this song so much and you should go check it out!!
6. Rome by Snowmine – I discovered this song while doing research for this list, actually, but I’m so glad I found it! It starts with a fun, light hearted beat that just makes you want to dance! I also love the 80s vibe it has, which seems to be making a comeback in recent music! I’m really happy I found this band and I will definitely be checking out more from them, and I suggest you do too! In fact, after Rome finished, their song “Colombus” started, and I really like that one too, if you’re interested!
7. New York Morning by Elbow – I love this super chill song that makes me think of waking up in New York and going about my day listening to this song. I just really love cities, especially NYC and I also love songs about cities, so this is a perfect fit for me. Don’t you love when you hear a song and it just sounds like it was made for you?
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/83659550″ params=”color=00aabb&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]
Article by Emma Christley | @emmaxelizabeth7